Roger Butler — owner operator of Red Tag Trout Tours, has been fly fishing Tasmania’s wild brown trout rivers, streams and lakes for over 40 years.
He specialises in the traditional fly fishing techniques of stalking/walking these waters introducing his clients to feeding/sighted wild trout predominantly using the dry fly, nymphs and dual rigs.
His passion is his job and his aim is to have all his clients experience the excitement and success of taking their own wild brown trout (or rainbow) on the (dry) fly.
Red Tag Trout Tours conducts all-inclusive guided wild brown trout, sea-run and rainbow trout fly fishing tours throughout Tasmania. In addition we run a choice of introductory fly fishing workshops and corporate fly fishing programmes.
One day to extended (choice of) accommodated packages! (Even the evenings relaxing drink over dinner is included)
Red Tag’s Point of Difference! We are Tasmania’s only specialist rivers & streams fly fishing operation for wild trout tours and teach the stalking / wading skills required to succeed in such fly fishing environments through our introductory fly fishing workshops.
Tasmania’s Point of Difference! Tasmania’s guided trout fishing industry is guide driven not lodge dominant. This is because our industry has been developed by individuals who are passionate about our fish, the fishery, Tasmania’s environment and the value added services we offer our clients.
Red Tag Trout Tours is no exception and prides itself on quality service and exclusive, intimate and productive wild trout fly fishing experiences.
We offer a personal service, so your experience starts from the moment you make contact with us — the person who plans your trip is the guide who delivers the product.
- Guided fly fishing tours – specialising in rivers, streams and lake margins for Tasmania’s wild brown trout, rainbows and sea-runners. Traditional fly fishing styles of stalking and presenting your fly to the sighted/feeding wild brown trout.
- Top-quality fly fishing on Tasmania’s finest fly fishing rivers and streams throughout the season
- Fly fishing tuition – Learning to fly fish with options on one-day and extended workshops
- gear and equipment assistance, sales and advice.
Our all inclusive packages cover:
- all fly fishing gear, including waders, as required
- choices of approved accommodation
- fully catered with local produce and homemade treats
- hot and cold refreshments, with a beer at the end of the day and dinner wine
- fishing licences, we are a licence agent for Tasmania
- transport & transfers [to/from airport or greater Hobart area]
- Fly tying introductory workshops to our top flies
- Red Tag Trout Tours is fully accredited with both industry, TGALT Inc., and tourism (TICT) authorities.
On the waters I guide, dry fly (after early October) is the norm, not the exception and if you like your own space, light gear, a variety of river and stream conditions from small runs to large pools, fly fishing to beautiful small wild browns up to 4lb+ surprises and want to give it a go, bring your own magic wand — or use ours — and have some fun.